Saturday, August 7, 2010

Pain in the Neck

Guys, I am in rough shape. Just a few weeks ago I was going on and on about my love for my new yogi, Steve, and his Inhale workout on the Oxygen network. I DVR'd 10 episodes and once a week, I do one. It's taking the place of my previous rest day and also counts (in my mind) as strength training. If you don't think yoga builds muscle, just try it. Better yet, try Steve's workout (although I haven't been seeing new ones lately). I digress.......

On Wednesday, I queued up an episode I had never done before. The hour was brutal. Grueling poses held for way longer than I like. Boy, I was cursing Steve that day. Expletives were flying out of my mouth left and right. Sadie looked appalled at my sailor-like mouth. I was so glad when it was over, and then the pain set in. I was sore in places I didn't even know could get sore.

For example, the base of my neck in the front. That's right, my windpipe hurts. Also, it looks like my glands in my neck are swollen but I think it's just the few muscles there are inflamed. It hurts like crazy when I bend over, as if I were heading into down dog. Damn you, Steve!! My shoulders and triceps were screaming. To add insult to injury, I went to zumba Thursday against my better judgment. It was a toning night so there were 15 min. of weights after class. I wanted to die, or cry. Or both! I have woken up in pain every night for the past 3 nights. I can't get comfortable. Oh, here's another insult to injury.....my computer at work died so I had to work on my laptop for 2 days straight which is at a different height than my monitor and hurt my neck even more.

For some reason, my mother in law gave John a sample packet of Biofreeze that he never used. Have you ever used this stuff? I think it's probably like Icy Hot, which I've also never used. That stuff scares the crap out of me. At this point, I'll try anything. So last night, I rubbed it on my neck and shoulders. IT BURNS!!!! Because I apparently enjoy pain, I tried it again this morning. It's burning while I type. I can't tell if it's helping the pain or not. I think the burning is just masking the original pain. John thinks it's maybe not meant for necks.

I'm trying not to let it get me down though. There are a lot of good things going on in my life right now. But that's a post for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!