Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A fan of fans

During the building process, for some inexplicable reason, the original owners of our home decided the two extra bedrooms upstairs did not need ceiling lights. I'll let you in on a little secret. One plugged in lamp in a bedroom is not enough light for much of anything. It's certainly not enough light to sew by and when your husband makes you buy those crazy lightbulbs that need time to "warm up" it's really not enough to do anything. High on our list of house priorities was the installation of electricity in the ceiling so that we might have not only light but also ceiling fans.


In my house growing up, we didn't have any ceiling fans. We did have window unit A/C and later whole house A/C so we were always cool and comfortable. It wasn't until I moved into what would be my last rental before purchasing this home that I really came to love ceiling fans. They are so useful! Do you remember on that TLC show Trading Spaces when all the designers promptly removed every ceiling fan they met? That always frosted my cookies. I am not one to need freezing cold rooms in the summer but a ceiling fan moves air nicely and lets us give our A/C a break every now and then when the temps drop a tad. Luckily, the master bedroom does have a ceiling fan and light. But, it soon came time to outfit the other two bedrooms.


Admittedly, we had no idea what this would cost. Although John has changed other light fixtures in the house, we didn't think we wanted to tackle cutting a hole in the ceiling and running wires and what-have-you with our novice electrical skills. Upon a recommendation from a friend, I called a local electrician. I honestly thought this project may cost us up to $1,000 to accomplish. I hear you laughing at me. If he had quoted me that price, I probably wouldn't have batted an eye. Foolish. Instead, he gave a flat rate of $100 per fan even before seeing the rooms. Yea hooray and SOLD! We headed out to the store to purchase two fans/rights (with remote, the master doesn't even have that!)


A few hours on a Saturday and we had fans! (Here is where I would normally post a picture but the spare bedroom is a mess and the sewing room will be posted later for a more exciting reveal -- we're talking paint, people!) Just in time for our first set of parents and summer guests' visits. I think they enjoyed not having to get dressed in the dark. I'm sure they enoyed the cool air the fan provided. This also means, we can now move forward on my sewing room! One step closer to not having my machine live on the dining table for the life of each project. Oh happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!