Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tomato harvesting

I have been not so patiently waiting for my garden to produce fruit. The herbs are coming along nicely and I've been able to use them in many recipes. Unfortunately, I can't say the same for my tomatoes. There are lots of big green buys growing on the Jetstar hybrid tomato plant and lots of little guys on the cherry tomato plant but nary a red one for harvesting between them. Until now.....





Last night, I plucked three cherry tomatoes from my Sweet 100 that were ripe and ready. They popped right off the vine.





I don't really like tomatoes on their own merit but I decided I should try one since I did grow it myself. It was sweet, but still a bit tomato-y for my liking. John thought they were delicious. I can't wait until I have enough to make caprese bites or put them in salads and on pizza. The big guys were supposed to reach maturity in 60-70 days. We have just passed that threshold from when they went in the ground to I feel like they'll redden up any day now. We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!