Sunday, July 24, 2011

Recipe Re-blog #29

Even though it's been crazy hot in Ohio this week I'm continuing down the tracks on my bread train. And I threw in a couple other new recipes too. Watch out for this kitchen choo choo!

Baguette: I LOVE baguettes. OK, I really just love bread in general. I followed this recipe exactly and made 2 shorter loaves instead of 1 long one. I did not, however, bake for the full 30 minutes at 500 degrees. That seemed nuts to me! It probably ended up baking for about 20-22 minutes and it was perfect. Crusty on the outside, warm and chewy on the inside. Yum!


Pesto: I have been wanting to make pesto for FOREVER. Sadly, my basil crop never produced enough bounty for me to do so. Until now! My basil plants are out of control. Perfect opportunity! I picked a basic pesto recipe from the Food Network and let 'er rip. Well sort of. I don't have a food processor so I had to use my blender. Also, pine nuts are expensive, yo. I read somewhere you can substitute walnuts. This is true, but be warned, the color of your pesto will be less green and more sludgey from the brown skin on the walnuts. Also, the walnuts slightly overshadowed the basil flavor but it was still mighty tasty.

Grilled Tuscan Chicken with Rosemary and Lemon: I have had this recipe bookmarked in my Everyday Food by Martha Stewart cookbook for awhile now. Until this summer, we didn't have a suitable grilling area. John actually cooked this up for us. He followed it as written, I think. The thing that really helped the moisture of the chicken was all the lemon juice. Give this a try for a light summer grilled chicken. We served it with sauteed zucchini and summer squash.

P.S. Sorry for the non-hyperlink. I'm trying to fix that. Blogger and Internet Explorer in a fight and I'm stuck in the crosshairs. :( If the chicken one doesn't work, go to marthastewart.com and search the name of the recipe. You'll find it there!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!