Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Free and Easy Wall Art

One of the things that excited me so much about buying our first home was decorating it. Sure I'd decorated all my previous apartments but this would be more permanent and make me feel a lot more grown up. While decorating is great, it can also be quite a strain on the pocketbook. Fortunately, it doesn't necessarily have to be pricey if you can put on your resourceful thinking cap and get down to business.

I happened to have three of these 8x10 picture frames that I knew I could do something to to make them useable. I was glad to have hung onto them for quite some time. They were framing random old awards at my office that I never hung up. It's okay. You can be jealous that I'm an award winner.




Sweet frames



Using a sample can of paint that I already had, I painted over that brown frame and nasty gold inset trim. I forgot to photograph this part. You know what painting looks like, right?


Then, I purchased 3 solid green pieces of scrapbook paper that matched the color scheme in the master bedroom. Using other paint I already had, I painted a triptych of sorts. I also didn't take any pictures of this process. I'm such a thorough documenter. Instead, you just get the reveal. Lucky you!



Hopefully you can tell that it is a flowering tree branch with two little birdies sitting on the end. I'm not sure how I feel about it but I hung it up anyway because, though it may not look like it, I worked super hard on it. I'm no artist but I thought I could handle something relatively amateurish. I'm a bit concerned about the thickness of the frames. It might have more of an impact on unframed canvases but that would require the purchase of said canvas. For now, it'll do, eh?
I was going to take a full shot of the bed and artwork so you could see what it really looks like. However, our summer bedding doesn't match the artwork. Oops! So, it'll look better in the fall/winter. :) I want new summer bedding because I'm tired of what we're using, plus it matches the walls but none of the other room decor for 4-5 months out of the year. However, on the priority list, summer bedding ranks mighty low these days.


Have you been creating too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!