Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Workout Woes

Guys, I think I am starting to suffer from exercise burnout. This is a problem because I have not yet reached my goals (more on that in a bit). I have been working out for 6 days a week for I don't know how long -- over a year certainly. I also, vary, sort of, my workouts because I know that keeps me motivated and is also important for weight loss and building muscle. Two days a week I go to zumba (which I have now been doing for 4 years - hard to believe), two days a week I run (which I have just upped my distance to 5 miles) and two days are devoted to various strength training of all muscle groups. You would think this variety would be enough to hold my interest. It's just, I don't want to slip into a lazy pattern and then BAM!, I'm not working out at all. I also don't really want to give up the activities I already do in order to incorporate yet another variety. See what I mean? Problem. I also don't want my workout buddy to lose his motivation. He's got a little more work to do health-wise and I know that we've only been successful because we've been successful together. Even if that means guilting the other into working out and out of eating the wrong thing sometimes.

Lately I've been wondering if maybe my body is just comfortable at this weight. How much would I really gain if I dialed back the intensity a bit and continued eating well? Of course, I'm not going to go off the diet deep end. I've been eating this way for so long now that it is completely my lifestyle. I wouldn't be comfortable picking up fast food for dinner instead of meticulously meal planning. I have a totally healthy body mass index according to the internet (valid source of information). Am I putting too much emphasis on my clothes tag or what the scale says? I have had a few people call me skinny. This was weird to hear and I think they were lying to me. So, am I already here, where I should be even if the scale isn't ultimately showing the number that I always wanted to see? Like a lot of women, it's very possible that I have a skewed body image. I may be much smaller than what I see in the mirror. I feel like that's normal though, to think that way. Don't your eyes immediately go to what you think are your worst flaws when under scrutiny?

From my heaviest weight, I am down (depending on the day) somewhere around 45 lbs. I know this is a huge accomplishment (no pun intended). I know what it took to get me here (someone calling me 'large' may have had something to do with the impetus) and to become healthy. I know that I won't backslide to that size because I feel awesome right now. Do I maybe need to take off a whole week from working out to really motivate myself to keep fighting the good fight? When I, not by choice, took 2 days off in a row from working out recently, I felt gigantic and I was really excited to get back to regular exercise. That may also have been the amount of cheese and sweets I consumed. If I have truly plateaued like I think I have, should I follow the advice of many experts and have a body reconditioning week? Not counting so many calories burned and calories consumed and just live life? What happens if I enjoy it too much? What happens if my inner thighs always meet just a bit more than I want them to?


Who can answer these questions for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!