Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Rugby to Halter

I get so inspired reading other blogs that upcycle clothing and yet I rarely attempt these sorts of projects myself. I think the only one I've ever undertaken was my ruffled wool Christmas skirt. I saved this long-sleeve shirt from John's Goodwill pile. Sorry, Goodwill shoppers. I distinctly remember it costing him $5.00 on the American Eagle clearance rack some years ago. There were a few different ideas floating around in my head and ultimately, I settled on a halter top. Probably because I love halter tops. Love them!



Let's get started!






Using a tube top from my closet as a guideline, I cut two rectangle accounting for seam allowance. I've forgotten to do that in the past. Forgotten seam allowance = a sad Ashley. I wasn't sure how I wanted to make the halter portion except that I purchased some white cording from Joann's months ago for this very project.






After stitching up the side seams to make a tube, I cut out a trapezoid-like shape for the top portion. I always thought it might make things a bit more interesting if I made the stripes vertical.




I stitched the top to the body and folded it down a bit to make the casing for the cording. The fit on the sides was a bit trickier than I thought it would be. There was a bit of re-sewing but I finally got it.


Ta-da! Free nautical halter top for me!






I like how long the halter top is. Isn't it the worst when you have to constantly yank your top down? I will be the saddest girl in the world when this white skirt dies. I could live in it!


1 comment:

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!