Tuesday, April 10, 2012

American Sniper

Source
I picked up American Sniper: The Autobiography of the Most Lethal Sniper in US History by Chris Kyle with Scott McEwen and Jim DeFelice because it was on the best seller list and a departure from my normal reads. It's a non-fiction work about Kyle's time overseas with the Navy SEALS. He chronicles the years he spent hunting and killing insurgents and all-around bad guys. He also discusses what it was like to readjust to civilian society after his deployments ended.

Sorry for the brief synopsis but I could not get into this book. I don't know what I was expecting but it just wasn't my thing. While I found some parts interesting, others (like when he described all of the weapons he used.....at length) went on far too long. This is a guy's book and I am not a guy.  Sorry if that's a slightly sexist opinion. Believe me when I tell you I am not trying to discredit Kyle's service to our country. I just didn't particularly enjoy reading about battles. I did enjoy the sections written by Kyle's wife describing what she was feeling at various times. If you are interested in descriptions of tactical advances by the armed forces, then you might enjoy it. Otherwise, skip it.



Rating: * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!