Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Bronze Horseman

Source
This book was recommended by one of the book blogs I read. The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons is the first in a series of three books. And we all know I love a good book series.

Set in Leningrad during World War II, Tatiana is a 17 year old Russian girl struggling to survive with her family in a time of hunger and strife. She lives in a two room apartment with her sister Dasha and brother Pasha, two parents and grandparents. When sent out to buy rations for her family, she meets Alexander, a Russian soldier, and becomes enamored with him from that day forward. Theirs, however, is a forbidden love for a big reason I won't spoil for you. As the war carries on, the family's troubles grow, along with their hunger. The fear that food will stop coming to the city is always on their minds. Through all of their tribulations, Tatiana and Alexander's love grows.

What a love story! Simons has some good, descriptive writing going on here. She does a brilliant job conveying each character's emotions. Fair warning, some of the scenes are quite racy and explicit. If that's not your thing, you might want to skip over those. There are many in one particular part of the story. I liked this book so much I went to get the second one from the library even before finishing the first only to find out my library doesn't have it! I had to buy a book, guys. You know, even though I love books, I try my darnedest to only borrow and not buy. I did get it used for $5 on Amazon though so that makes it a little better. Extra bonus, I got it in paperback so it won't be nearly as heavy in my carry-on to Florida in 3 weeks. (!)

If you like impossible love stories, give this one a try! Quite long but you will become so wrapped up in the characters that those 600+ pages will fly by.



Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!