Thursday, April 5, 2012

Cutting It Out

This year, John and I focused on making some changes in our diet for the better. Fewer starchy carbs, more green veggies, lots more protein. It's helped but we've been slipping. It seems like there's always an excuse to pick up an extra sweet treat here or there. Holidays (like Easter) don't help one bit. Trips to our hometown don't help either. Neither of us are seeing any movement on the scale like we want. We have been adding in extra walking with Sadie and of course the new strength programs I talked about yesterday so the workouts are not the problem.

On our Sadie walk the other day John says he's considering making a very drastic dietary change. No sugar? I asked. No refined sugar, he says. And cutting out white things like bread, pasta, etc. I broached this subject with months ago and he scoffed at me. I don't know what article he read but all of a sudden he's spouting off facts about how gluten can be bad for your digestion and sugar is slowly killing everyone. After I picked my jaw up off the sidewalk, I wholeheartedly agreed. Of course I knew all these facts but to hear them from my sugar-loving husband's mouth was quite shocking.

Because our trip to Florida is a mere 5 1/2 weeks away, we decided now is as good a time as any to give it a shot. No one wants to look flabby in a bathing suit. Am I right? While nightly desserts will be difficult to give up, I think we'll be okay. It's just a retraining of the mind to not need a certain type of food. I've already done that with other foods for that last 8 years. Does this mean I have to give up the sugar in wine too? That might be a tad more difficult......

Any tips for tricking a sweet tooth? Have you gone off sugar? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!