Tuesday, January 28, 2014

And Then There Were None

I like a good mystery every now and then but can you believe I had never read anything by Agatha Christie, Mystery Queen? True! I picked this up at the library last week while I was wandering the stacks. (Are they still called stacks in a public library? We called them stacks in college but elsewhere, are they just shelves? These are the questions that keep me up at night.)

Source


This book was first published under another title you may be familiar with, Ten Little Indians. I'm guessing along the line, someone realized that wasn't politically correct and changed the title to And Then There Were None. Can we talk about how this is also the plot of one of my favorite movies? CLUE! You've all seen Clue, yes. If not, PLEASE WATCH IT. I can remember seeing it on TV as a very young girl and thinking it was the best thing ever...even though I didn't understand the majority of the jokes. I especially liked the alternate endings.

A brief but succinct Good Reads' Synopsis:

"Ten people, each with something to hide and something to fear, are invited to a lonely mansion on Soldier Island by a host who fails to appear but leaves a recording accusing all of undetected murder. Cut off by his orders, one by one each die according to a nursery rhyme Ten Little Indians. A confession in a bottle solves how nobody remains alive."


What I Thought: Well, despite knowing the plot because of Clue, I still really enjoyed the mystery behind this and would not have guessed whodunnit. I actually don't like figuring everything out prior to the killer being revealed. I think it spoils the fun. If you're looking for a short but compelling mystery, check this one out!

Rating: * * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!