Sunday, January 12, 2014

Recipe Reblog: Healthy Bowls

Chili and soup go with winter like peas and carrots. Am I right?

I tried two new recipes last weekend that I want to pass along. Bonus points for being totally healthy too!

Terrific Turkey Chili: I have a few chili recipes but I was looking for one that really pumped up the veggie quotient and this fit the bill. It even has zucchini in it! I followed the recipe exactly except I made my own taco seasoning mix. If you're still buying taco packets, do yourself a favor and google a taco seasoning recipe. Those packets are packed with sodium. No bueno. Even with the green chile peppers this wasn't too spicy. I am a wuss when it comes to spice but it had a nice heat to it. And it makes enough to feed a crowd. Give it a try!

Cream of Broccoli soup: This recipe comes from Gina's Skinny Recipes which is a site I have used a lot! She has great healthy options and gives you all the calorie counts, etc. I was looking for a lightened up cream of broccoli recipe and knew I could count on Gina. This cooks up quick and easily and also adds a few more veggies in as well. A minor variation from the recipe... I used fat free half and half instead of milk. I used low sodium broth though and I needed to add a bit of salt. She also says to add pepper to taste. I added a half teaspoon and that may have been slightly heavy handed but it was still good. And lastly, I don't have an immersion blender so I blending in batches in my regular blender which worked out just fine. This was delicious! It was also pretty thick.

There you have it.

Fill up your bowls and have a great week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!