Tuesday, August 9, 2011

G-Money Monogram

I have had all the components for this project for months. I often fall into this crafting cycle in which I get really excited for a project at first, and then lose steam even before starting. Then, all the purchased supplies just sit there begging to be crafted.

In our foyer is a small alcove screaming for some artwork. Everything I've looked at in the stores has not been very inspiring to me. When store-bought items are uninspired, you must make your own, yes? I know I saw the finished result of this project somewhere as the idea is not originally mine, but for the life of me, I can't remember where. If it's yours, I'd be happy to give you credit. Let's get started!

I purchased a white 10"x10" canvas from Michael's and painted it with a leftover paint sample I had in the garage. Then, I played around with some fonts until I found one I liked and made it HUGE. Well, big enough to fill the canvas. See?




I lightly traced the outline of the G onto the canvas. If you do this on a lighter color, you'll probably want to erase the line. When I was finished with the next step, you couldn't really see where the line was in the places it didn't get covered.

After tracing the letter, I laid out these white buttons (I bought a tube of them at Hobby Lobby) carefully fitting smaller ones around the larger buttons. I was going to sew on each button individually but decided against it. Too time consuming. Sounds like a good time to bust out the hot glue gun instead!



Here's my G, all buttoned up!






Here he is all alone on the alcove wall.




Very lonely. Don't worry, there are other pieces of artwork ready and waiting to be hung. We didn't get to painting the foyer or stairwell yet so it's still white from the previous owners. The ceilings here are 17 ft. Quite an undertaking.....someday. In the meantime, I want to paint the alcove wall taupe. John is unconvinced.


Anyway, I think this would also look cute matted and framed. I have a housewarming party to go to in a few weeks and if I can find the time, I think I'll do one for the hosts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!