Sunday, August 14, 2011

Recipe Re-blog #32

Four new recipes this week! Am I steamrolling through this year of cooking or what? The word of the week is SIMPLE. These were all so easy and delicious!



Caprese Baked Egg Cups: Within the last year, I have become obsessed with all things caprese. If you are unfamiliar, this is a mixture of sorts including tomatoes, basil and fresh mozzarella. You can have it as a salad, or an appetizer, and even with your eggs! I harvested some beautiful cherry tomatoes and fragrant basil from my garden. I don't have a chicken so I bought the eggs are the store. Likewise with the mozz, having no cow and all. The recipe calls for these to be baked in ramekins. I didn't have the right size but I did happen to have 2 mini loaf pans with Santa on them. Christmas in August? There were Christmas colors in the food, does that count? Anyway, these were super simple and super delicious! Toss in the ingredients, crack in the eggs and bake. That's it! These would be a big wow if you were having guests for breakfast. I don't have anyone on the B&B books but maybe soon.


Sweet and Sour Chickenhttp://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/budget-recipes/sweet-and-sour-chicken: This is a recipe from Rachael Ray's June/July 2011 issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. Sweet and Sour Chicken is my go to order for Chinese take-out. This version is much healthier as it does not involve any frying of chicken. As far as a homemade version goes, this was good. Obviously, nothing can compare to actual Chinese but this was an easy alternative.


Fish and Chipshttp://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipes/rachael-ray-magazine-recipe-search/budget-recipes/fish-and-chips-2: This was on the exact same page as the recipe above. What are the chances? When I was planning this week's meals, all I did was hold up the page for John, who immediately approved, and we had two dinners picked! Fish and Chips are also another meal that is just so good in a restaurant that it's hard to make at home, my not having a fryer and all. This was breaded in panko crumbs to give it some crunch and baked in the oven. It came with a tartar sauce recipe but when I got home, John had already mixed up his own version. What a guy! I had planned on doing potatoes (chips) alongside but....well, you can read below why I changed that. If you like fried fish, try this also for an easy and healthier alternative.


Easy Cheesy Zucchini Bakehttp://www.kalynskitchen.com/2011/07/recipe-for-easy-cheesy-zucchini-bake.html: This was an impromptu recipe when I found myself in possession of a zucchini that weighed 4 pounds and was the size of my head. I happened to have all the other ingredients on hand too (and fresh herbs!) The only one I was out of was parmesan cheese. (How did this happen?) I just added more shredded mozz in its place. This was really tasty and easy too! Just mix and bake. I love recipes like that. In summertime veggie season, this is especially a keeper.

P.S. Why are my hyperlinks sporadic?! I hate you IE whatever version I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!