Sunday, August 7, 2011

Recipe Re-blog #31





Guys, I have a new obsession. Homemade donuts. (Is it donuts or doughnuts? Normally, I'm all for the proper spelling but in the interest of fewer keystrokes, donuts it is.) I kept coming across recipes for homemade baked cake donuts and I could not stop thinking about them. Sometimes when you are living a certain lifestyle of eating that can only be described as deprivation, you start obsessing over the foods you cannot have. Full disclosure, a couple weeks ago someone brought in the freshest donuts I've ever smelled at the office. And they had my fave! Maple iced, cream-filled. I couldn't ignore that they were just sitting there in the snack room. And so I took a spoon, carved out the center where all the creamy goodness was and ate it. Did I tell you this already in another post? Forgive me, I'm writing this on a Friday evening with a glass of Carmenere pouring down my throat. Anyway, I digress. THE POINT IS.....I wanted to satisfy my donut craving more often than not and so I purchased donut pans. I bought both a full size and a mini pan, because who doesn't love mini things. They were relatively inexpensive on Amazon so I went for it. And then I found some donut recipes.

Chocolate Cake Donuts http://www.familycircle.com/recipe/cakes/chocolate-cake-doughnuts/: This recipe is from Family Circle. It's healthier than a fried donut but not by much, probably. I had all the ingredients on hand which was lucky. The recipe suggested putting the batter in a makeshift ziploc pastry bag. This is fine but be warned, when you are squeezing chocolate brown batter from a bag into a pan, it looks like poo. If you can get past that and lose yourself in the aroma from the oven while they bake, you'll be just fine. Yum, yum, yum. I made these for some B&B guests and they went fast.


Apple Cinnamon Donuts http://www.preventionrd.com/baked-apple-cinnamon-doughnuts-weekly-menu/: These are of a healthier variety. Because this was my second batch in the same day (after a night of LOTS of wine -- are you sensing a theme?) I didn't mess with the pastry bag on these. Also, John had to go buy brown sugar in the middle of my mixing up the batter for both recipes....oops! Anyway, these are relatively healthy as far as donuts go. The recipe uses some whole wheat as well which made them a bit denser but still tasty. Applesauce is the key here for keeping the calories low. If you are not a supersweet breakfast person, these are for you!


Recipe #3, comin' atcha!


Honey Lime Chicken Enchiladas http://stephaniecooks.blogspot.com/2011/07/honey-lime-enchiladas.html: Does anyone else feel like a lot of Mexican entrees are very similar in ingredients and taste? I love Mexican but it's basically all the same stuff. I've never made enchiladas before but this recipe was very similar to the baked flautas that I make. Well, let's say it's similar in preparation but very different in taste. And Oh.Em.GEE!!! PLEASE try these enchiladas. These were so amazing that John and I kept making Mmmm noises while eating them. Bite after bite. The leftovers were even better. AH-MAZING! I cooked the chicken overnight in the crockpot so that it would already be shredded and ready the next night. I had only seasoned it with salt and pepper at that point but since the recipe calls for chili powder and garlic powder, you could probably add it during the crockpot stage to really let the flavors sit. Also, John bought red enchilada sauce instead of the green it called for. I've never had green enchilada sauce but the red tasted fine so either will do. And for the cream, I used fat free half and half to save some calories. I could not believe the brightness of flavor in these. So refreshing!


P.S. Sorry, again, about the non-hyper links. I figured out the problem, just have to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!