Monday, March 12, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter

I read that title somewhere and thought, "OK, I'll bite." Get it? I'll BITE! Never mind. I picked up Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter by Seth Grahame-Smith from the library recently. I was actually pretty surprised it was available to check out because the movie version of it is soon to be released. Because they've already made it in to a movie, usually that makes it more popular. Once again, I am ahead of the curve.

In AL:VH, a young Abraham Lincoln learns his mother was killed by a vampire and vows to avenge her death for the rest of his life. He meets a vampire, Henry, who wants to help him off his own kind. Throughout his young adult-hood, Henry sends the name of a vampire to Lincoln periodically and then he goes off to hunt them. He learns many tricks and gains some hunting friends over the years to defeat these vampires. By the time his political aspirations come into view, Lincoln has all but given up the vampire hunting. Unfortunately, they seem to keep finding him in the worst possible ways. Will Lincoln kill them all, or will he succumb to their vampy wiles?

This one was just okay for me. I thought it was a tad slow throughout but it was an interesting take on historical fiction. I'm currently reading Grahame-Smith's well known, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, so watch out for the review on that. This one is probably a skip unless you're super into Abraham Lincoln. Even if you're really into vampire-related fiction, I don't think this will do it for you. Cool cover though, eh?

Rating: * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!