Thursday, March 15, 2012

Run!

In this new running life of mine, I find myself drawn to stories of elite runners. Call it learning the tricks of a trade I will probably never master. I never thought I would find this topic so fascinating. And please? Do you see the quad muscles on that cover?? Those come from running, y'all.

RUN! is by Dean Karnazes. If you're not familiar with that name, you probably aren't following the running world very closely. Karnazes is a highly decorated elite ultra-marathoner. He regularly runs 100+ mile races. In RUN!, he offers 26.2 (you know, like the marathon?) short stories of his running history, others he's inspired and those who have inspired him. He talks about running overnight, running across famous deserts, Antarctica, for 48 hours on a treadmill and much more. These easy to swallow and often funny snippets just leave you wanting more. If you like running, that is.

I really enjoyed this one, and it was a fast read...... no pun intended. I want to go back and read his first book, Ultramarathon Man. He also has another memoir about running 50 marathons in 50 states on 50 consecutive days. I mean, really? How much more beast can one guy get? Anyway, if you're a runner or an athlete of any kind, you'll appreciate his dedication to his sport. If you have zero interest in running, you'll probably think these feats unbelievable. I am a runner and I even think they're unbelievable.

Rating: * * * 1/2

P.S. Happy Birthday to my Grandma today! She's not reading this but I want you to know she is one fabulous 93 year old lady.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!