Monday, March 19, 2012

Cowl in the Round




It's suppose to hit 70 this week in Ohio and I'm knitting cowls. What is wrong with me? Because I loved my seed stitch cowl so much, I decided to move onto a cowl of a different color. I'm still using Lion Brand Wool-Ease Thick & Quick yarn. It's washable and dryable and like its name, it knits up thick and quick.

I've tried knitting in the round before. It didn't go so well. I like to think I've expanded my knitting knowledge over the years so I wanted to give it another try. This was an experiment so I didn't use a pattern. It's a little longer than I wanted. I was looking for more of a funnel-neck cowl that you wouldn't be able to double.



Here's what I did:

Using 13mm circular needles, cast on 73 stitches
Knit a row and the k2tog to join the round
Then I just continued knitting in the round until I reached my desired width. It's about 23 rows, or 8 inches
Then I bound off.

I was hoping it wouldn't roll like it is in this picture. I don't know how to block my knitting so maybe that would help? I should probably do some research on that.

I think next time I won't cast on as many stitches. 6 fewer stitches should make it 2-3 inches smaller. Perfect. Knitting in the round went much better for me this time. The only probably is my needles were twisting in the beginning. Luckily, I caught it in time and was able to flip the project at a spot where you don't even see it.

Love these early springs temps but hoping I can wear this cowl at least one time before I pack it away until fall..........

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!