Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Magic Hat Summer Pack

Summer is here! Well, it's been here. But, the Magic Hat Summer Scene 12-pack is here and this is great news. It's only been in recent months that John and I have been enjoying Magic Hat but it's quickly becoming one of our fave breweries. I even looked into touring it when we vacation in Vermont this summer but it's about 2 hours from where we stay. Kind of a long day trip...........We'll see.

There are 4 different varieties in this pack and only one IPA, so that's a plus. We'll start with my favorite in the box.

Elder Betty

This is a hefeweizen so it's no wonder I liked this one the best. From the website: "A golden haze for a summer's daze. Elder Betty is a weiss-style ale with a bready malt flavor balanced by a touch of hops and complemented by the tart berry flavors of elderberry." I'm a summer for a good berry beer. This was light and refreshing. The perfect sipper for a summery Friday night.
PISTIL (Sorry! No picture of this)

The Pistil is a dandelion beer so of course it evokes thoughts of summer. From the website: " Stop and smell the petals. Pistil is a summer beer unlike any other, brewed with a combination of dandelion petals, Pale and acidulated malts, flaked oats, and Apollo and Northern Brewer hops that results in a one-of-a-kind beer with a slightly sour acidity and a smooth malt body. Perfect for taking down deep thirst."

This one was just okay for me. Not nearly as bitter as I expected so that was good but hopefully John will drink the last one because I don't really want it.



Blind Faith

Well of course they had to sneak an IPA (India Pale Ale) in there. I have yet to meet someone who tells me IPA is their favorite kind of beer. Does this person exist? Bitter is not my jam. This was a 60 on the bitterness scale. The Elder Betty was a 13, so you do the math. From the website: "An ale of enlightenment created to aid in the deciphering of puzzles along life's road and to interpret signs in the voyages of the spirit. Blind Faith is an extremely well-balanced IPA with a crisp, refreshing hop bitterness and a deep malt body to match.

As John put it, this IPA is not as hateful as some others. I only tried a taste of the bottle he had so I still have to choke down 12 oz. on my own. But he was right, it's drinkable I suppose. I just wouldn't start the night here.

#9 Not Quite so Pale (no picture of this either)

I've had this one before but it's one that I keep coming back to. From the website: "A beer cloaked in secrecy. An ale whose mysterious and unusual palate will swirl across your tongue and ask more questions than it answers. A sort of dry, crisp, refreshing, not-quite pale ale. #9 is really impossible to describe because there's never been anything else quite like it." This one is easy-drinking. Good with food or on its own.



Cracked a good cold one lately? Let me know what you've been tasting, pretty please!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!