Thursday, April 11, 2013

Beer Me: Voodoo Doughnut & Good JuJu



Maybe you've seen this Pepto-Bismol pink bottle in your local beer aisle. Maybe the price tag ($12.99 for 22 oz) deterred you, as it did me for so long. But, after seeing the label "Bacon Maple Ale" so many times, your curiosity piques and you saddle up to the register.

From the Site: "Rogue Ales has collided with Voodoo Doughnut to create Bacon Maple Ale! This unique artisan creation contains a baker’s dozen number of ingredients including bacon and maple syrup from one of Voodoo’s signature doughnuts."

I wanted to like this so badly, especially for what we paid for it. The fact of the matter is, I just don't really like bacon and HOLY COW (pig?) is this heavy on the bacon flavor. I love maple and was hoping that would come through a lot more. John, a self-proclaimed bacon lover, even deemed this a weird sipper. Liquid bacon with a hint of maple sweetness. If you have the opportunity to do this as a tasting without committing to the bottle, by all means, please experience it for yourself. But otherwise, spend your hard-earned dollars elsewhere. That's why you have me to try these things for you and tell you where it's worth it and where it's not. You're welcome.

But, I don't want to leave you with a bad taste in your mouth.

Source

If you like ginger, and I mean serious ginger, you will LOVE this one. This is Good Juju from Lefthand Brewing Co.

From the Site: "Fresh ginger kisses the lithe malty body, copulating with the hop in this pale ale ancestor.
Emancipate yourself from the dead of winter, none but the vernal equinox can free the light. A refreshing frivolity. "

I was super impressed by this. This is similar to ginger beer (non-alcoholic like root beer) so if you like ginger beer, you'll go nuts for this. Don't go in expecting ginger ale, my friends. There's a freshness to this ginger that I was not expecting but it's not overly sweet. Low on the bitterness and on alcohol content. Get it while you can though. This is a seasonal and I haven't seen it in stores by me, just on tap at a local watering hole. I've liked both of the only two from Lefthand I've tried, the other being their Milk Stout. Can't wait to seek out more from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!