Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Healthy Obsessions

I have two new things to tell you about that are dominating my healthy side these days. One is a drink and one is a workout. Get excited!

We're all familiar with Dr. Oz, yes? He has a recipe for this amazing green juice. I love green smoothies but they're thick and sometimes hard to drink quickly. (Pssst.....don't tell but they're green from spinach) Juicers are expensive and it takes a whole lot of fruits and veggies to garner one glass of juice. But this green juice...oh yes. You can use your regular old blender (although a high powered one would be nice) and while it still has a thickness to it, it's not nearly as gloppy as a smoothie. Here's the best part, it is CHOCK FULL of vitamins and nutrients and good for you stuff. And it tastes fresh. Now, if you're unfamiliar with green juices, the first couple times it definitely does taste like you just licked your lawnmower. But, now I L-O-V-E it so much.



Some of you are scared by the contents and maybe your apprehension is totally normal. Cucumber, spinach, celery, apple, parsley (yes you read that right -- it's an insane antioxidant!), lemon juice, lime juice and fresh ginger (that's the best part). I also added a small amount of apple juice to thin it out. Not too much, we don't want that sugar. You could do mint instead of ginger for something different. I'll be trying that once my garden goes in the ground.

Now, here is Dr. Oz's official recipe. But, I like the modified version on this blog because you don't have to have as much fruit and I don't think my blender could handle carrots. This amount of ingredients barely fits in as it is. Let me give you a blender top from my blender guru, John. Grind up the bulky stuff first (apples, cucumber, celery) and then add in your spinach, liquid, etc. Then blend blend blend until desired consistency is reached. Oh, I also add ground flax seed for those awesome Omega 3's.

Please say you'll at least try it. John was a skeptic like you but halfway through the first blender-full, he was in love too. We made it on Monday and each had about 6 oz. in the morning. I leave the pitcher in the fridge and just reblend each day to mix it up a bit.

Healthy Obsession #2

I love going to exercise classes and I love running but it's important to get in that strength training too, right? I don't think I need to give you all a lesson in why building muscle is super crucial to your well being. It's also cheaper,  faster and easier if you can do it at home. Enter the 1,000 Rep Workout! I've been finding these on Pinterest and I cannot get enough. They are a killer workout and you are dog tired at the end, if you do it right. Plus, they usually add in a cardio element so you're getting the benefit of a circuit workout. It's not 1000 reps of one exercise but a bunch all put together. For instance, my favorite one is 50 reps of lunges, squats, mountain climbers, etc and so on. There are 20 different exercises. It's from PBFingers and can be found here. I just started following her blog and can't wait to try out some of the treadmill workouts. I also liked this one from BodyRock TV and it had a video to demonstrate form too. It's called It Will Rain Sweat and holy cow, did it ever. Strength training + Sweat = a happy Ashley. Can't wait to seek out more 1,000 Reps and get my sweat on.


What healthy thing are you obsessed with lately?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!