Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Revolutionary Road

I was on the hold list for Richard Yates' Revolutionary Road FOREVER. And last week, I was finally #1. Having not seen the movie and only having vague knowledge of the plot, I was really looking forward to this one and all of its critically acclaimed glory. It's the story of Frank and April Wheeler who live outside of New York City in the fifties. Their marriage is not particularly a happy one. Frank works in an unfulfilling job; April takes care of the children, unfulfillingly. There are affairs, a possible move to France, and quite an unfortunate ending (I hope that doesn't give anything away.)

Though ultimately pretty depressing, I loved Revolutionary Road. The characters were so well developed, and not just Frank and April either. All of the secondary characters, however brief their appearance, were so well written. I can't wait to see the movie now. I don't like seeing movies before I read the book, if there is one. I also don't always like going into a book already having a picture of the characters in my mind, as I did with this one since I knew who played Frank and Alice. I already think the casting was spot on but, I'll confirm that for you once I rent it from the library. If you can get your hands on a copy of Revolutionary Road, read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!