Saturday, September 19, 2009

Always Looking Up

Always Looking Up: The Adventures of an Incurable Optimist is Michael J. Fox’s second memoir. Two memoirs in a row, what’s up with that? I selected it because I thought it would be an interesting read and my hunch was correct. His first book, Lucky Man, deals more with his career, alcoholism and diagnosis of Parkinson’s Disease. I guess, I haven’t read that one yet. Always Looking Up addresses his life post PD diagnosis and more recent years. It chronicles his PD research foundation and all he’s done to raise funds and champion stem cell research legislation while discussing how he deals with the disease on a regular basis. I really enjoyed this book. Most celebrity books are not particularly well written but this one was very well done and engaging, in my opinion. So much so that I am going to look for Lucky Man at the library next week. Parkinson’s is touching my life in ways I’d rather not go into here but I will say it was great to have his perspective on the subject. To hear from someone with this affliction was very enlightening. He has such a positive outlook -- the main theme is optimism -- that the whole thing was quite refreshing. This one gets a thumbs up from me. It was a relatively quick read, though I had multiple car trips to devote to it. Check it out if you’re looking for some good non-fiction.

Last night, John and I celebrated Oktoberfest at our local liquor store, Arrow Wine and Spirits. They were also thanking customers for 75 years of drinking in Dayton. They had all kinds of food (not a brat fan though). They also had beer and wine tasting. We tried the Hofbrau Oktoberfest, which was so so, and the Great Lakes Oktoberfest, which was awesome! It's so smooth and the color is a rich amber orange. So pretty it almost matches my living room makeover. And the tastes were only a buck for a whole cup. Score!

Speaking of my living room makeover........big things are happening this weekend on that front. There is one linchpin holding me up and that is candlesticks. I have lowered my standards on those and I still can't find anything I like. I'm considering hitting up the Goodwill to find some that I could spray paint. We'll see. I have a load of clothes to take anyway so, two birds. Ashley out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!