Monday, September 28, 2009

Dismantled

I feel like I’ve been reading Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon for forever! But really, it’s only been about a week. My sister recommended this one to me as something “different.” Not having much else on my to be read pile, I found it at the library and jumped in. This is going to be a rough plot summary because there are a lot of elements and I don’t want to give anything away. Dismantled is about some renegade artists who form a group in college called the Compassionate Dismantlers. They perform pranks and rage against the man, and all that jazz. Something horrible happens when they’ve just graduated due to their pranks and schemes and the story begins as we see them again 10 years later. It mostly follows Henry and Tess (two of the Dismantlers), their daughter Emma and her imaginary friend, Danner. In an attempt to get her parents back together during their separation, Emma and her friend contact the old Dismantlers, who have since been disbanded, and things start to get pretty creepy from there. See what I mean about a crappy plot summary? But really, you’ll see why if you end up reading it. I liked Dismantled because it dealt with themes I don’t normally see in fiction, well, the fiction I read anyway. And like my sister said, it was definitely different. I suppose I would classify it as somewhat of a psychological thriller. I absolutely had to see where the book ultimately ended up and it kept you guessing up until the end, which I liked. If you’re looking for a departure from the norm, pick up Dismantled.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!