Monday, September 14, 2009

Pretty in Plaid

I owe you a trip review of our FABULOUS vacation to Niagara Falls but I don’t have it in me today. Instead, I’m going to review the book I finished while on vacation. But, stay tuned for travel tales in the coming days!

Pretty in Plaid is Jen Lancaster’s fourth memoir. Having enjoyed the first 3, I figured I’d like this one and put myself on the Hold list at the library for it some time ago. Slowly I worked my way through all other holders (and slow readers) and was able to pick it up last week! Pretty in Plaid recants Jen’s life according to wardrobe. Her humorous voice adds color to stories from childhood all the way up to the present and how various pieces of clothing and accessories play out in her memories from those times. I don’t have much more of a summary than that because there’s not much more to add but I did laugh out loud a number of times. I enjoyed Pretty in Plaid because I was already familiar with Lancaster’s style and in this memoir, she has even more entertaining life lessons to convey to the reader. However, if you’ve never read Lancaster before, I wouldn’t necessarily start with this one. One of her earlier books will probably endear you to this one a bit more after getting to know her other trials and tribulations. I do recommend it, two thumbs up! But, I didn’t really relate to a lot of it as I can barely remember what I wore last week. Whereas in some of her other works, specifically Such a Pretty Fat, I felt like I could relate to her life struggles. Anyway, whether you read this first or last (of her books) I think you’ll enjoy it all the same.

Look at what we saw in our very backyard pulling into the drive from vacation on Sunday! It ended up landing at the school across the street, narrowly missing trees and many cars. We had seen it from the highway and then, much to our surprise, this cheerful little dirigible made its way to our street. We put off unloading the car to go see where it ultimately landed, taking Sadie on the little walk up to the main road. She promptly rid herself of dinner in the grass and we, not having a bag for clean up, skedaddled right on out of there. Bag dog parents. Anyway, back to the grind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!