Wednesday, September 30, 2009

What have I done?

Today, I wore a gray jumper/dress to work over a white blouse. Save for the length, which was a little on the slutty side for office-wear despite what John thought this morning, I looked like a nun. Especially when I added my black cardigan. My nun similarities didn’t bother me, however. You can’t dress flashy every day, right? I really try to be conscious of outfit color schemes throughout the week. Where was I headed with this? Oh right, nuns. Actually, that was just to describe my outfit to you. Here’s where I’m really headed.

After seeing myself in the work bathroom mirror I noticed that my blouse was causing an unsightly lump under my dress. The next time I went to the bathroom, I tucked my blouse into my pantyhose and then I realized, it’s official: I am becoming my mother. I love my mom so this news isn’t really disappointing but I thought it wasn’t supposed to happen until you had kids and you started parenting like your parents. My mom is a total shirt-pantyhose tucker and now, apparently, so am I. That’s just ONE small step from tucking my shirt into my underwear, which I am vowing here NEVER TO DO.

I suppose I’ve known for quite some time this was coming. Certain comments by me elicit comments from John of the “that was so your mom” nature. They always give me pause to realize, yeah that’s something she would do. My oft-used nickname is Mom Jr. Thanks, honey. How thoughtful of you. Again, I don’t know why this irritates me because there are plenty of other people I could be like besides my mom that would be way worse. I’m going to have to ask my brother-in-law if my sister has mom characteristics as well. I’m certain that she does but I’d like to see to what extent they have infiltrated her general everyday living.

In other news…..could this work week be any longer? Pretty sure time is now moving in reverse and before I know it, Monday will be back again.

1 comment:

  1. Yikes, that is Momish! The only thing that I can think of that I do is add "ie" to the end of words where it doesn't belong, "foodies" and "snackies". Doesn't Mom do that? I'll ask Mark for more ideas...
    -your sister

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!