Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Shopping Sucker

Just put a big sign on my forehead that says “sucker.” I’m supposed to be on a shopping ban until our trip seeing as how we’ll certainly be spending money on overinflated restaurants, tourist attractions, etc. in Niagara Falls. But, where did my shopping ban take me last weekend? To the brand new outlets and IKEA, and then the mall after that! You’ll be happy to know that I didn’t buy a single thing for myself at the outlets. I made one purchase, a birthday present for John. Proud of my restraint, I did pretty well at IKEA too, spending less than $25 most of which went towards my living room makeover budget. I spent a bit more at the mall but all sale items. These are not the things that make me a sucker. I am a sucker because in my e-mail this morning, there was a message from the Banana Republic Outlet about a “Mystery Sale” where your bar code would give you $5, $10, etc. off and possibly up to $500. Now, I in no way think I would actually get $500 off but I start thinking to myself, “That pumpkin colored pullover that I passed up last week because it was still full price would be a whole lot more attractive at even $5 off. And, since it’s Labor Day, I bet it will be on sale by then.” Then, I receive the same Mystery Sale message from the nice folks at the Gap outlet. What luck!

Hastily, I e-mail John confirming that we shall, indeed, revisit the new outlets (only 20 minutes south!) this very Sunday. And then it hits me, what a sucker I am. Bravo, marketing geniuses at some of my favorite retail venues, you’ve done it again! I had all but talked myself out of a return so quickly under the pretense that I wasn’t supposed to be spending money. I had prudently decided not to go back for the across the body Coach bag that I think would be so useful on vacation but that I would never carry at any other time. Now these coupons and the promise of surefire discounts. You win.

I figure, I shouldn’t feel too badly about being suckered like this. Stores need consumers like me that they can woo in with their coupons and promises of discounts, sidewalk sales and the like. When I told John this he responded, “You and your ilk are the last bastion of hope in an otherwise dark economic outlook for retail stores everywhere. It is your American duty!” So, as long as my better half is with me, “to the outlets!” I say. Armed with coupons and the hope of severely discounted merchandise, I hope to have much success, and not spend too much money.

Only 4 more work days until vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!