Saturday, February 6, 2010

Pet Silhouette

I wasn't going to post this until I found a suitable frame for this project. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening any time soon. I keep forgetting I need this frame when I'm out and about. Plus, I've got some busy weekends coming up which will make it difficult to shop. Anyway, here it is!

I forget where I first saw this project but since there was no accompanying tutorial with the picture I found, I went it alone.

For this project you will need: animal (one), scissors, two constrasting pieces of printed or plain scrapbook paper (I used 12x12), a pencil, and glue or some sort of adhesive to stick the silhouette on the background.



1) Have a photo shoot with your pet. Sometimes they are uncooperative with this task. Persevere. If you don't get a good profile picture, this project will be crappy. Try to get a standing and sitting shot so you have some choices.



2) Print out your favorite photos. Oops, I guess I forgot to tell you that you'll also need a computer and printer. My bad.



3) Now you begin the arduous task of cutting out the pet part of the photo only. This will not be difficult if your pet has short hair. If your pet is of a poodle breed, like Sadie, this will take some fancy ninja cutting skills. You want to be sure you get all those curls, right? This is the cut out Sadie (I chose the seated version because her head was turned in the other one.) And also the peacock blue and paisley paper that I'm using.



4) Once you've cut out your Sadie photo (or your pet of course), you will still need to cut out the silhouette from the pretty paper. I suggest tracing the outline of the pet onto the back of your printed paper but flip it first, so she's facing the right way on the other side. You won't have to worry about pencil lines on the front and if you have a dark or busy print, the pencil traces will be hard to see when cutting.



5) Here is paisley Sadie. I love paisley.


6) Then, you can adhere paisley Sadie to the background. I used one of those wheels with little adhesive strips that you use in scrapbooking. A gluestick would probably work just as well. Elmer's glue probably is not what you'd want to use. TA-DA!




See? She needs a frame but you get the idea. I'll probably crop it closer to the silhouette depending on the size frame I find. Don't you want to silhouette your pet?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!