Sunday, February 6, 2011

Recipe Re-Blog #5

Hey! I made it through the month of January and kept to my resolution. How are you doing on your own resolutions? Not to rub it in, but so far, mine is going swimmingly. I tried two new recipes this week. I was cooking my books. No, I'm not laundering money. That's what I call it when I comb through my extensive library of cook books to find recipes that I haven't made yet.

Sauteed Chicken in Mustard-Cream Sauce
: This one was actually not scheduled for this week but when a trip to the grocery store did not include the cranberries I needed, I had to substitute this guy in. It had the added bonus (luckily) that I already had all the ingredients in my fridge/cupboard. LOVE when that happens. It's by my girl Martha and is in the Everyday Food cookbook. This was delicious! It's a keeper for sure. I try not to buy heavy cream very often but I have a handful of recipes that call for it. This will be a good way to use up the half carton that's sitting in the fridge. Try it!

Vegetarian Chili: John and I take soup to work for lunch approximately 4 days a week. I used to be really good about making homemade soup for us and then freezing the leftovers. My freezer was stocked. Then, life happened. I haven't made any soup or chili for awhile but I want to get back into it. I also didn't feel like buying ground beef so, in another "cook your books" effort, I pulled out my Better Homes & Gardens Slow Cooker cookbook and selected this Vegetarian Chili recipe. It is chock full of veggies and fiber-y goodness. I love my crock pot. This link is not exactly the same as the one printed in the book. I used regular diced tomatoes because that's what the BHG recipe in the book called for. For a veggie chili, this was tasty. It filled me up for lunch and only had 200 calories. I don't know how often I'll make this but it was worth trying at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!