Thursday, February 23, 2012

Injury Report

When I listed my January miles a few weeks back, I mentioned I've been having some pain in my right glute and hamstring. I went to Dr. Google and he told me it was piriformis syndrome that affects your sciatic nerve. All sources said this was manageable with specific stretches and exercises. I did these stretches and exercises religiously to no avail. It wasn't really getting better at all. I had two meltdowns about how I wasn't able to run without pain. TWO! Who am I? I never pegged myself as a person who would be upset about not being able to run.

So, I finally went to see a real doctor. He felt around my butt a bit and then made me bend over and touch my toes about 6 inches from his face while feeling my hamstring. Awkward! Good thing I wasn't wearing a skirt. He proclaimed that it was probably a pulled muscle and that I should just drug myself up prior to running. 2 Aleve an hour before I run for a couple weeks, then come back. If it doesn't work, physical therapy.

I tried this tactic over the weekend except I think I took it too far in advance. I took it 2 hours ahead and then got sidetracked and let John have the treadmill before me. (I'm so nice.) I was able to do 4 miles in 36:38 with negative splits. Good, not great. The pain didn't really show up until the last half mile and that one I ran an 8:50. That's a big improvement. I was really proud of myself until I looked at the run I had logged the previous Sunday sans Aleve and it was 4 miles in 36:36. What the what?! I remember having more pain though so I guess it worked? I'll keep trying this method until early March when I go for my follow up.
With just under a week left in February, it's safe to assume I won't be getting in 50 miles this month. But, I figured that if I ran the January totals for 10 months, I could still hit 500. So, for now, it's okay that February didn't bring as many miles to me as I would have liked.

The doctor is also making me have blood work done tomorrow because I've never had it done before (yes, even though I'm 28). He said everyone should have their cholesterol and other things checked before they're 30. I am super nervous about this. Plus, I can't eat breakfast before having it done either. I'm going to be famished. Luckily, the appointment is first thing in the morning. Wish me luck!

Have you suffered a running injury? What was it and what did you do to recover? Do I have anything to be nervous about while having my blood drawn?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!