Sunday, February 19, 2012

Recipe Reblog #6

I've never had Indian cuisine. Have you? It's one of those food genres that I've been scared of my whole cooking life. Someone told me I shouldn't be scared of it because it's not all spicy. I am a wuss when it comes to heat in my food. But, I took a chance and selected an easy recipe.
Chicken Tikka Masala: This one takes a lot of spices. Fair warning. However, they are all spices that you probably already have in your cabinet, which is a plus. Warning #2: the yogurt marinade for the chicken looks pretty nasty. Don't let that deter you, forge on. You are supposed to grill the chicken after marinating but I didn't feel like pulling out the George Foreman since our outdoor grill is stowed for winter. I also had concerns that the marinade on the Foreman would create quite a mess. Long story short, I cooked the chicken in a pan on the range. It worked out just fine. I made a few changes to this recipe. In the two separate sauces you are intended to add a total of 7 tsps of salt. SEVEN! I didn't add any and it didn't lose anything. Plenty of flavor. I also left out the jalapeno and I cut the cayenne in half but when I make this again, I'll only do a half teaspoon. It was hot enough! One last switch.....fat free half and half for the heavy cream. I have been doing this all over the place lately and I don't think the recipes suffer at all. I have yet to sub it in while baking but in savory sauces it's fine and a LOT healthier.

Final verdict: I'm no longer scared of Indian cuisine! This is a good gateway recipe. I may need some coaching on finding another one. Cook this one up!

P.S. Happy Birthday to my stepmom today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!