Tuesday, March 1, 2011

The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick



You may not know this about me but I'm a borderline germaphobe. I will go to extreme lengths to avoid illness, and I'm generally successful. At the slightest tickle of the throat, I start mainlining Airborne like it's my job. So, when I saw The Secrets of People Who Never Get Sick by Gene Stone on the Health shelf at the library, I thought, why yes, why not educate myself further about the avoidance of germs.


The book is split into 25 secrets, some of which are not so secretive. I would venture to guess that most people know that regular exercise, a balanced diet, and moderate sleep keep you healthy. Those weren't really 'secrets' I needed to spend time on. Others were pretty quacky. For instance, there was one gentleman Stone wrote about who swears by taking cold showers. I have yet to employ this tactic, nor do I plan on dunking my head in peroxide (I think that was it) also, you're welcome to try drinking your own urine. Hey, if it works for these people, more power to them! While I found it interesting, I'll admit I ended up skimming quite a bit halfway through. It was pretty dry. Let's face it. Have you ever read a medical-related book that didn't hit some dry spots? If you are a relatively unhealthy person who finds themselves oft under the weather, you should do yourself a favor and read this cover to cover. If you, like me, are already relatively healthy, you can probably skip it.


Rating: * * 1/2

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!