Sunday, May 29, 2011

Recipe Re-blog #21

It was a carb-y kind of week here at Chez G. The best kind of week, in my opinion. I have had this Better Homes and Gardens cookbook for years and have never made a single recipe from it. Actually, I think John brought the cookbook to this marriage. Not sure who thought he'd be doing the recipe testing from it.....





English Muffin Bread: I always forget that I like English muffins. We never ever buy them but put one in front of me and I am all over that with some jam or honey. Mmmm! While I didn't feel like weighing and shaping each individual muffin, I figured I could certainly handle one loaf. The original recipe makes two loaves but I halved it. Also, an important tip is to make sure you have yeast on hand before starting, which I did not. This mixed up easy enough but let me tell you, my loaf had no nooks and crannies. This was a dense beast of bread. John loved it. I suppose it had a good flavor but it was not what I envisioned and also didn't match the picture in the cookbook. That always makes me feel like a failure.


Puffed Oven Pancake: John is the pancake maker around these parts. Every Sunday, without fail, he offers up pancakes or waffles fresh from scratch. This is what the guests of the Chez G B&B have to look forward to. Breakfast is included and our reservation book is currently empty....hint, hint. I myself have never made pancakes but having come across this recipe in the same BHG cookbook I thought it looked easy enough for me to handle. No flipping necessary! Well, it sure was tasty but it didn't exactly puff up except for on the sides. The recipe doesn't say so but I always wrap my pan handle in foil before I put it in the oven, just in case. They had a good flavor anyway but I'm not sure I need to take over the pancake making.





2 comments:

  1. I like the new background!!
    -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. What does wrapping the handle in foil do?

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!