Wednesday, May 18, 2011

To Tom's or not to Tom's

I am at a crossroads. A veritable shoe quandary. Ever since I saw these Tom's shoes out in public a few years back I thought, "You have got to be kidding me. Those are the ugliest flipping shoes I've ever seen in my entire life." Nevermind that they're a vegan, good for the planet shoe. (not typically something I care about....admittedly) Nevermind that the company donates a pair of shoes to a child in need for every pair purchased. Do-gooder shoes? PASS! Lately, however, I feel the tide turning on my disdain for these so-called shoes. I'm starting to think that I, dare I say it, might actually like a pair of my own. To wear, I mean. In public.

This has happened to me before with fashion trends. At first I loathe them and then, the more I see them, I grow to LOVE THEM! And then I purchase multiple of the very item that I previously turned my nose at. I'm looking at you, bermuda shorts and maxi dresses.

And so I'm wondering, do I fork over the $54 for these canvas, vegan shoes and know that I also helped clothe a child but also simultaneously give myself the side eye for being such a style hypocrite? Or do I pass them by in favor of flip flops that offer no support whatsoever for my terrible old-lady feet? See what I mean?

Crossroads.

(Do you have and love a pair of Tom's? Do hate them like I used to? Could they be a gift to myself if I promise not to shop for awhile after purchasing? Do they last? Are they comfortable? I have many questions.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!