Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Wine Night: 14 Hands



Another installment of wine night! Our gracious friends were hosting this one so we told Sadie to hold down the fort and headed on down to their house. We were instructed to bring a certain type of wine from a specific winery. I didn't ask what the theme was prior to getting together so I was concocting many different options based on this bottle. All wrong, mind you. The bottle we brought was 14 Hands Cabernet Sauvignon. Finding this is might be hit or miss. I ended up having my wine shop order a bottle for me but I know they carry many 14 Hands varieties at the other store we frequent. The theme for the food played into the flight of wine as all 4 bottles that evening were from 14 Hands. I had never had anything from there before but, I'll try anything! 14 Hands is in Washington, if you're curious. Oh sorry, dinner was "food you eat with your hands." Get it? Hands and 14 Hands? Stay with me, folks. The menu was delicious! Steak and veggie kabobs, chicken satay skewers and crispy potato fries after a fantastic appetizer spread. Yum, I'm hungry all over again.



Onto the wines....


Hot to Trot White Blend: I think blends get a bad rap. Yes, they are typically comprised of barrel leavings but don't let them fool you. Those unwanted left-behinds can be whipped into something quite nice. This was delightful and perfect for the wonderfully warm evening we had that night. Crisp with a clean finish.



Riesling: This was a crowd favorite, although I liked the blend better. (Odd for me, a Riesling lover) Melon and peach and other things I can't remember. I did still like this one too though.



Hot to Trot Red Blend: Oh, this was smooth. John's fave of the night. Not at all tannic and particularly easy on the palate. We'll be buying this one again.


Cabernet Sauvignon: This was tasty too although John confessed that he doesn't really care for Cabs. This is news to me! Cabs are my fave go-to red. No wonder I'm usually responsible for drinking those bottles.



Great offerings from 14 Hands in a reasonable price point, somewhere between $12-$16 range I believe. Previously we have selected a country, region or type of wine so it was nice to do a flight from one winery. I really liked this concept and will be stealing it for a future wine night. Give 14 Hands a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!