Monday, May 2, 2011

Vino Adventures -- South America

I almost forgot to post about this! Out little wine club met again a couple weeks ago for another vino adventure. This time, we headed to South America! I had a good time coming up with a menu that may or may not have featured South American cuisine. See all of those recipes I used here. I sought out the advice of my friendly wine shop owner when selecting my wines. He suggested a cab/something else blend from Argentina and a carmenere from Chile. If you haven't ever tried a carmenere, you must! It's a great red that's not too terribly dry. All of them that I've had thus far have been smooth and delicious, very accessible.




Here we have our appetizers. Bread and seasoned oil and three yummy cheeses. Blue d'auverne that I read pairs well with Chilean reds, Havarti and Manchego. All cheesy, all delicious! The d'auverne was so spreadable. Growing up I wouldn't have touched blue cheese with a 10 foot pole. Now, I can't get enough of it. Amazing how your tastes change. If I had to live on bread and cheese alone, that would be a-okay with me.



I didn't take any pictures of dinner or dessert so I won't re-hash those here but all recipes were worth another shot and obtained sleeves in my recipe binder. I love when that happens. Recipes that aren't worth eating, or making, are oh so disappointing.




Now......the wines!

Except, is this terrible or what? It's been too long since the tasting and my posting that I have completely misplaced all my notes on these bottles. I can only recall that the blend from Argentina was called Intimo and retailed for $16. What is happening to my memory? I know we liked all of them. The Carmenere was especially delicious. The Sauvignon Blanc from Chile that our guests brought was a very mild and delightful white. Well, after we strained out the broken glass that is. We're not sure how it happened but our trusty Rabbit wine opener broke the neck of this bottle. Not wanting to waste good, glass-infused, grape, we used a little ingenuity.




No harm, no foul.


I promise to do better at my reporting skills next time. We have another wine night in a few weeks so I have a chance to redeem myself. Until then, may the grape be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!