Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The 19th Wife

I just finished the 19th Wife by David Ebershoff and without beating around the bush, if you're fascinated by the polygamist culture like I am, READ THIS BOOK! Last year I read Escape (which is non-fiction) and I really enjoyed it. The 19th Wife is a mesh of present day and historical fiction about Brigham Young's 19th wife. It also chronicles Jordan Scott, a 20 year old previously banished by his fundamentalist community, in a search to free his mother -- also a 19th wife -- who has been put in jail for shooting his father. There is a lot of hopping back and forth 200 years but the stories Ebershoff tells parallel each other perfectly. I won't go into the plot too much, it's rather lengthy. It's definitely one to pick up though.

In non-book news, my wellies arrived today!!! Those coupled with a lot of recent unnecessary jewelry purchases (and 2 bathing suits) mean I'm on a self imposed shopping ban until my Florida trip (only 29 days away!) Items I am allowed to purchase if found: shorts, capris, brown and/or black sandals. So, for the next month, I'll just drool over my boots and pray for rain while wearing all of my new jewelry. Oh shopping, you fickle seductress. I just can't seem to quit you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!