Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Oh,. library, you fickle temptress

My best friend, the library, has screwed me. I have a very efficient system of putting books on hold as soon as I hear about something I want to read. Oftentimes, the books are extremely popular and I am WAY down on the hold list. I was 252nd when I first added The Lost Symbol when it was released in October; I made it to #1 just last week. So, while I feel this system saves me lots of time at the library and reminds me of books I want to read, which I often forget, the system has a fatal flaw. Sometimes, like now for instance, I get to #1 on multiple books at the same time. Then, there is a mad scramble to read them within my allotted 3 weeks. I will renew, if I can, but usually there are others waiting their turn patiently and I must return them.

I always get so excited when receiving the "You have a book waiting for you" e-mail. But over the last few days, the e-mails kept coming. This week, I am in the unfortunate predicament of having 4 of my books ready for me at one time. FOUR! Also unfortunate is the fact that I already have 2 out that I still need to finish. This means I have to read 6 books in 3 weeks time. SIX! Some of them will be very fast reads; all of them I am excited to devour. I am doubting my reading speed with this challenge. I suppose, I could just eat the fine if I don't make the deadline. I usually feel like a fine is a well-deserved donation to the library. However, there are others waiting. I don't want them to get restless.

So, for the next 3 weeks, I will do little else but read I suppose. I have craft projects and knitting to accomplish but those have no deadlines. The reading cannot wait.

Yesterday, on my way to the library to pick up said books, I was talking to my mom on the phone and told her of my plight. Six books in three weeks. She has her doubts, I think, of my achieving this goal. Anyway, when I pulled into the parking lot and told her I had to go she says, "OK, have fun with your sex books." You can imagine my confusion at this comment as none of my books are sex related. I just said OK and hung up. Then, I realized she meant 6 books. Six, not sex. As if I would tell my mother when I read a sex book, which I don't do, tell her or read them that is. Sheesh, what kind of person do you think I am?

1 comment:

  1. hahahahahahahahahahahahah

    Thank you for that!

    Aunt Jane

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!