Monday, January 11, 2010

TV Dilemma

I never thought I'd utter these words......I think I need to cut back on the amount of TV I watch. I love television so much! I have early memories of not being allowed to watch MTV as a child but having to pass it (channel 23) on the way to Nickelodeon (channel 26) and possibly stopping for more than a second to see what I was missing. My burgeoning romance with television began at an early age. I remember that Saved By the Bell used to be on at the YWCA on Saturday mornings after my ballet class. I probably looked more forward to watching SBTB than I did actually going to ballet. I never was a very good ballerina; that should probably tell you something about my lack of athletic prowess up until recent years, when my prowess has improved. Does that also tell you something? Television does not an athlete equal. I digress.

Today I came to the realization that I should perhaps cut out some needless shows when I read that there is yet another season of Project Runway starting on Thursday. Yes, the last season ended only a month or so ago. It's the same with the Biggest Loser and yet both NBC and Lifetime thought, "Oh, not too soon for another season. We've got to put some sort of programming on." I simply cannot commit to back to back reality seasons of this nature. I'm somewhat of a closet reality show junkie. I should qualify that. I'm not really closeted but there are shows I will not watch (i.e. any dating show, any gross show, or any stupid show -- use your own qualifiers). But I like competition shows, such as the two aforementioned, and for some reason I can't get enough of the Kardashians (I wish my hair looked like that!) Where was I going with this? Oh yes, I think I'm thirsting for scripted shows. Maybe I really just need to cut back on reality shows. Could that be the case?

Chuck returned this week, which is one of only a handful of shows (save for all programming on the Food Network) that John and I watch together. Also, Big Love is back and soon enough, my beloved LOST will return for its final season. So, I suppose, in the course of typing this post, I've come to the conclusion that I just need to drop some of my reality TV watching and get back to the scripted shows that involve a whole team of actual writers to put together and not writers for the Hills.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!