Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I actually checked The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein out of the library some time ago and had to turn it in before I read it. This was before my rebel days of keeping books overdue so I could finish them and happily paying the fine. I finally made it to the top of the hold list again and have been really looking forward to this book. It was highly recommended on a lot of book boards.

The Art of Racing in the Rain is narrated by Enzo, a dog. He discusses life with his owner, Denny, a wannabe racecar driver, Denny's wife, Eve and their daughter Zoe. Enzo loves everything about racing. He watches race videos and likes riding along with Denny when he drives. Eventually, Eve falls ill and Enzo knows about that too, before anyone else. He truly is man's best friend to Denny through some very tough times throughout the story. I don't want to give too much away so I'll just stop there. Lots of plot ahead.

This book was great! It was funny at times, sad at other times and I loved the dog's point of view. I think even if you don't have a dog that you can appreciate the fresh perspective in this story. I won't tell you how it ended, obviously. But, I will tell you I had a whole rush of different emotions in the last 20 pages and it was all worth it. Thumbs up for Enzo. You will love him.


John and I skipped our weekly liquor & wine store run this past weekend (boy that makes us sound like lushes) and so I had to hope Meijer's wine department would come through me. I was thoroughly sated. I picked up a bottle of Pink Truck. It comes from Red Truck Winery in California. The bottle says it's a classic with a bold twist. Pink Truck is a blend of grapes including Zinfandel, Grenache, and Mourvedre. It was a 2008. Someday I'll look up to see if that was a good year in Sonoma. Apparently it's a 'real wine that complements your easygoing lifestyle.' Count me in!

Tasting notes reference strawberry, citrus, raspberry, pomegranate and a juicy orange. Fruity! I was pleased by Pink Truck. I wanted something light and relatively sweet and that's what I got. OK, it tasted kind of like juice, which made it go down real smooth. I got this on sale and I can't remember how much it was but their website says $8.99. I would buy this again, especially as it continues to get warmer outside and I start craving a lighter more refreshing libation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!