Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cake and wine!

Well, not really. Just Layer Cake wine. I picked up a bottle of Cotes du Rhone by Layer Cake a couple weeks ago. I keep reading great things about Layer Cake and I decided it was time to see for myself. The fact that the bottle was on sale for $12.99 didn't hurt. I think it's normally $16 or $17. Besides being a new winery to me, I've also never tried a Cotes du Rhone before. It was similar, in my opinion, to a Cabernet Sauvignon. Now, those with a much more seasoned palate will probably laugh at this observation but I love a good cab sauv, so I'm sticking to it.

Aha. Upon further investigation, this is actually a Syrah from the Rhone Valley. And on the bottle: "My old grandfather told me the soils in which the vines lived were a layer cake. If properly made, the wine from these vines was like a delicious cake layered with fruit, mocha and chocolate, with hints of spice and rich, always rich. Never pass up a good Layer Cake.”

The tasting notes also reference blueberries, black currants and star anise. Mmm, spicy!

Don't you just love that? I love cake. I love wine. This is a new favorite for me. I definitely tasted the mocha and chocolate. It was fab. I will definitely slice up this Layer Cake again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!