Sunday, March 21, 2010

Weighing Issues

My wedding weight by anniversary date challenge is so-so these days. I had kind of a calorie fest this weekend (more on that tomorrow or the next day) so that's not good. However, we've made it to the home stretch on our no eating out challenge. Only one more weekend to go! I'm proud of our accomplishment thus far. But, this post isn't about that. It's more about a continuing struggle with weight that a lot of us have.

I am, admittedly, in the best shape of my life right at this moment. I work out 5 days a week alternating cardio and strength training. While I'm not at the lowest weight I've ever been, I know I've added muscle and am more toned than ever as well. So, these are all good things. What's not good is when you step on a scale and the person weighing you says, "whoa!" It's kind of like when you stand on the Wii Fit board and it lets out a surprised "OH!" Same thing.

In zumba class we're having a challenge to help everyone achieve their own weight loss goals. This required weighing in. I was excited for this because I often have doubts about the accuracy of our home scale (which we did replace the batteries in finally, not sure if I told you that or not). Anyway, I step on the scale and it hits a number I was completely expecting. It also meant that my home scale is pretty accurate, so that's good. But the person recording the score said, "Whoa! I didn't expect it to be that high." Never good. I could see she was slightly embarrassed by the comment so I said, "Yeah, I get that a lot." I'm tall so that adds pounds and I like to think I carry my weight well. Still, this brought back screaming memories of a time when I went to the doctor in college (granted I was 30 lbs heavier at that point) and the doctor said, "I wouldn't have guessed you weighted that much but I would have said you were large."

I would have said you were large. Also not something someone, especially a young woman struggling with her weight, ever wants to hear. EVER. Anyway, I was telling the instructor before class about my weigh in and she paid me an awesome compliment about how I look so much thinner and toned lately and that I must have lost a lot of weight. And truth be told, I haven't really lost any weight. She said I must weigh heavy like she does. She is tiny. I wish I was that small. So, I'm going with that. I weigh heavy. And I must keep reminding myself, it's not the number on the scale. It's how my clothes fit and how healthy I feel. And I still maintain, this is the healthiest I've ever been.

So, bring it on zumba challenge! Hopefully you can help me reach my goal. Despite what I just said about it not being about a number on a scale. All of my hard work would be worth it if I could just lose these 6 lbs. A lower number might even give me the mental boost towards another goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!