Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sewing Spree

One of the fabrics I got at JoAnn's this weekend is pre-smocked on top. Perfect for a sundress! They have carried this type of fabric in the spring and summer for the last few years but it's usually short. Since maxi dresses are so popular, they finally got wise and made some longer lengths. So, the top is smocked elastic and then it billows out to make the dress bottom. All you have to do is sew the side seam and hem the bottom. Brilliant!


See? The flowers are a bright orange-y red. Love them! I'm wearing my sunglasses to show you how ready I am for our trip to Florida. Only 40 days away! Anyway, should you seek out this fabric to make a quick and easy sundress, you might benefit from these tips. Firstly, it's 45 cents an inch which equals $16.20/yard. Take a coupon! Number 2, the little paper with instructions by these fabrics recommends buying a length the measurement of your bust or hips plus one or two inches. This is far too much! I purchased a full yard and ended up cutting off a good 5 or 6 inches because the dress fell down. Another helpful Joann's cutter told me they recommend bust measurement minus an inch or 2. Now you know! Also, these should only be cut on the elastic part, the Joann's cutter should tear the bottom non-elastic part. My first lady didn't know this until someone told her just before she cut. If you use scissors on the bottom, it turns out all wonky. Don't be afraid to speak up!

Happy sundress sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!