Thursday, July 1, 2010

This Book is Overdue!

I think I learned about This Book is Overdue! How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save us All, by Marilyn Johnson, from the New York Times, but I can’t be sure. I was on the hold list for a long time for some reason. I guess a lot of other people also found this interesting. With my love of libraries, I knew this had to make its way onto my ‘to be read’ pile.

I don’t have much of a summary for you here. Johnson eloquently implores readers to realize that even though we are staunchly ingrained in the digital age, your local library and especially your tireless librarians will never become old hat. I couldn’t agree more! I’m not interested in e-books in the slightest. While I read articles on my iphone, I could never read a whole book paging through on a screen. I like my bookmarks too much for that. In fact, I lost my favorite magnetic bookmark a couple books ago and need to find a replacement. Currently, a post-it is pinch hitting. Anyway, Johnson offers anecdotal tales of various libraries and patrons around the country and world. She explains the studious and reference-loving underground amongst librarians, their duties to readers and writers alike and how important supporting your library is.

As a bibliophile, I really enjoyed this work of non-fiction because I am a library lover. What is the word for library lover? There must be one. It was funny at times but slow at others. Admittedly, there were certain chapters that I just skimmed. But all in all, a good little read. And it’s good for me to throw in non-fiction every once in awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!