Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Am I the last person in the world to read Harry Potter? I mean really. I have avoided it until now because I truly had no interest in it. Millions and millions of people could certainly be wrong about this popular series, I'm sure. Call me crazy, or a lack of to-be-read books, but I picked up the first in the series at the library and tucked in. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the first in the series by J. K. Rowling.

Here is the very briefest of synopses for you. Upon turning 11 years old, orphaned Harry Potter learns he is a wizard and is enrolled in Hogwart's, a wizarding school. For the next 6 years, he will learn potions and spells and what it takes to be a part of this life he previously knew nothing about. He quickly hears of evil wizard Voldemort and finds himself involved, along with his wizarding friends, in a race against time to rescue the Sorcerer's Stone from falling into the wrong hands.

Verdict: I enjoyed this a lot more than I thought I would. I can see why the world is enraptured by J.K. Rowling's creation. A friend of mine advised that the books get better as the series progresses. I'm looking forward to continuing on with them and hoping, perhaps, to finish all 7 (or 8? I can't remember) by the end of the year. A tall order since I have the Steve Jobs bio to pick up as well. But, I love a good reading challenge and have a lot of time off around the holidays.

Rating: * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!