Sunday, January 15, 2012

Recipe Re-blog

OK so maybe I won't try to make a new recipe every single week this year but that doesn't mean I won't stop all together. You don't know me at all! This week we tried two new recipes both from.......drum roll.......Rachael Ray! What a surprise!


Not-sagna Pasta Toss: Even though I'm trying to cut back on carbs, I couldn't give up pasta all together. I'm always looking for new pasta dishes to try. They are a weakness of mine. This recipe is a deconstructed lasagna. No layers, but all the same ingredients. I was the sous chef on this one since John had the first session on the treadmill that night. Then, he cooked everything up while I did my run. What a team! He said it was an easy recipe except when she mentions the shallow bowl used to mix the ricotta and water. Definitely don't use a shallow bowl or you will have a mess on your hands! This was VERY filling. We got 5 servings out of it instead of 4 (portion control!) And really probably could have gotten 6 if we had been a bit more judicious with the scooper. Try it!

Orange Cashew Chicken with Broccoli: I love me some Chinese take-out. What I don't love is how bad it is for you. RR has countless Make-Your-Own-Take-Out (MYOTO, as she says) recipes that give you all the flavor but are much better for you (aka not fried). This is one of those recipes! I sous-chefed on this one too. I guess I was all about the backseat cooking this week. But once again, John said it came together easily. Stir fries like this one are a great use of protein, veggies and time. They are quick cooking and full of flavor. We let it simmer a little too long though and the cashews lost their crunch. So, just be sure to turn off the burner.

P.S. Blogger says countless is spelled wrong. Poor form, Blogger spellcheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!