Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Stories I Only Tell My Friends

Stepping away from fiction for a spell, I borrowed Rob Lowe's autobiography, Stories I Only Tell My Friends, from the library. I am a big fan of his character on Parks and Rec (Love that show!) and decided I'd like to learn a little more about his life. Why not?

Lowe spent his formative years in Dayton, Ohio. Small world, eh? He caught the acting bug as a child and eventually moved with his mother and brothers to California. As a child actor, Lowe was always waiting for his big break. His retelling of these days was very interesting and probably very similar to a lot of child stars. Fame didn't really catch on for him until he was just about ready to throw in the towel and go to college. He was cast in the Coppola film The Outsiders, and everything changed. Throughout the autobiography, Lowe describes anecdotal moments from each notable TV and move shoot he experienced. He also explains his party lifestyle and battle with alcoholism that probably began somewhere around his Brat Pack days and helped him forget and escape a troubled family life at home. The book continues on through his time on TV in the West Wing and up to present day.

I thought this was a quick, interesting read. There was excessive name-dropping but I suppose in a book about Hollywood then that's par for the course. Plus, Rob Lowe is dreamy so he can do whatever he wants. If you're a fan of his work, Lowe has some good stories to tell you. He's had a very busy career and a lot of his work I had completely forgotten about. (Wayne's World, duh!) Give this a shot if you're into the movies of into foxes like Rob Lowe.

Rating: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!