Thursday, May 10, 2012

One Day

Via


This book was recommended by a co-worker. Not knowing what else she typically reads, I picked it up anyway because I was looking for something to read that I didn't have to wait for at the library. One Day by David Nicholls follows 20 years in the life of Brits Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew. They meet on St. Swithin's Day (some English holiday) which also happens to be their college graduation. The book revisits them each year on that same day wherever they are in their lives. Together or apart, successful in their careers or down in the dumps, Emma and Dexter remain constants to each other in an often strange relationship. Will they or won't they? The reader is left wondering as they start as friends (or a random hook up) where the relationship will end.

I really liked Nicholls' writing in One Day and I liked the idea of seeing the same date over 20 years but I didn't necessarily find myself rooting for any of the characters. Well, I suppose I did like Emma but Dexter never did it for me. The ending was unexpected and I'm still not sure how I feel about it. I don't want to give anything away because I was really surprised. It's worth reading and I almost gave it 3 1/2 stars but something held me back. I can't figure out that little thing about it I just didn't like.


Rating: * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!