Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Weekend Re-Cap

What an awesome holiday weekend!

The B&B was booked with visitors from North Carolina. My sister, brother-in-law and nephew drove up from Raleigh just to hang out with us. Wasn't that nice? My nephew, Ben, is just a couple months shy of his 2nd birthday. He was loads of fun! Spending more time with him this weekend was much different than our visit to Austin last Thanksgiving when he was only 4 months old. Duh, right? He has endless amounts of energy and then crashes hard, sometimes in the middle of the floor. My sister didn't make me change any diapers but I was forced to witness her changing a full #2. That was the low point of the weekend.

Because we were playing Ohio tourists, we took them to the Cincinnati Zoo. This is a great zoo but their prices are getting a tad high. Buy your tickets at Kroger to save a couple bucks. I skipped the reptile house but reports from John and my sister told that Ben was brave enough to touch a lizard in there. Pass. My favorite are the zoo babies. Mini Juliana pigs!


Source

I love a good zoo trip but we didn't last very long. Record high temps this weekend meant that 93 degrees was our limit. We tapped out before lunchtime because we were all sweaty messes.

The fun didn't stop there! On our way home, we stopped at IKEA by request of our guests. I bought a potted succulent for my office that I am super excited about. We grilled at night at got ice cream at our favorite local soft-serve stand.

On Sunday, we took the guests into Dayton to the Boonshoft Museum of Discovery. This is a strange conglomeration of a museum. Part zoo, part science center, part play place, part planterium......something for everyone! A lot of the exhibits went over Ben's head but it was inside (air conditioning!) and he really did enjoy it for the most part. The animals that live there are a lot more accessible than at the zoo and you can see them right up close. I'd like to go back to the planetarium portion which we skipped because Ben would have been wiggly.


Meerkats!



We headed home for naps and a little sewing. A quick pair of pajama pants for my sister, more eating, and of course, more ice cream! On Memorial Day, they hit the road around 9:00 AM and John and I got down to the business of yard work. More on that another day though...... What a great family weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!