Wednesday, January 23, 2013

En Vacances......soon


I have been remiss in telling you about some big excitement in my life lately. In less than 4 months, John and I are going on vacation to……..wait for it…….EUROPE!!! We’ll be celebrating our fifth anniversary for a week in London and Paris and could not be more stoked. We’ve been planning this trip, well, I’ve been planning this trip in my mind for years. Neither of us has ever been to Europe before so this will be quite an adventure. I stalked airline prices for months. Honestly, months. We finally booked our tickets on Thanksgiving (a great day to buy flights, by the way) for about $150 less than I had been seeing them. Some may say I could have held out and I’ve read several articles stating the best time to purchase international flights is about 38 days out. However, I’m not really a gambling woman. I like to have things squared away well in advance. The key is to not look at the current prices. If they’ve gone up, yes, you will feel validated. But, if they’ve dropped, you’ll feel swindled.
Anyway! It’s onto booking lodging, hammering out sightseeing itineraries, seeking good restaurants, thinking about what clothes to pack and all of the Type A goodness that comes with planning a vacation. All tips on international travel or these destinations are appreciated. We’ll be packing a lot in a short amount of time.  I suppose that’s probably pretty typical of your first trip abroad though. You want to see it all! In the meantime, I’ll be brushing up on my French. Despite having studied it throughout high school and in college, too much has escaped me, regrettably. I know English is spoken nearly everywhere in Paris but I’d still like to be a bit independent and understand menus without cheating. John speaks no French so we will be relying on me. I’m also trying to find the best possible shoes for miles and miles of walking. I’ve got a lot on my plate with this one but it will be a fun challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I want to hear what you have to say. Really!